Posted by Antique Plumber on 1/26/2022 to
When selecting a contractor for a bathroom remodel there are a variety of things you need to consider. First, do you have someone in mind? Where did you hear about this person? Do you know anything about them or just the name of their company? You never want to go off of one bit of information. For example, if a friend says they used a construction company and they had a great experience with them, then that’s a good place to start but it shouldn't be your last.
Getting multiple estimates is always a good idea as it gives you a better understanding of the work that is going to be needed for this project as well as its costs. As you look for someone to assist you with your remodeling project, try to remember to focus on at least four or five qualified options to do the job. That way, you have the ability to get the best team for your project based on how they compare to others.
Why You Need A Contractor
While DIY enthusiasts love the idea of remodeling their own bathroom to save on money, it really is something you should only do if you’re well trained and experienced. Mistakes made in remodeling can cause major problems to the overall quality of the property, lowering its value and requiring tens of thousands of dollars in repairs. Even if you are capable of doing some things, it’s never a bad idea to work with a contractor who can make sure everything is done by the book and help you cover everything you need to cover prior to inspection.
Best Ways To Find One
A good contractor is an important and valuable resource to have whether you are trying to do a bathroom remodel or build a brand new home. It doesn’t matter what the size of the project is, you need someone who will get the job done from A to Z. This includes handling any permits, issues with local regulations and so forth. If you are starting your search from scratch, consider looking here to start:
- Construction apps: There are dozens of construction apps and websites that offer a great variety of contractors in your area. You can search for them based on location, budget and so forth. You can also select those experienced with specific tasks like a bathroom remodel or driveway.
- Google: A great option if you are not sure where to begin is to check Google and other popular search engines. Like the construction websites and apps, you will see a wide selection of options and also be able to check out their online reviews, their experience and more.
- References: If you are not sure about selecting someone from online sources, start asking around. Make a post on social media or even ask your neighbors if they know of any good contractors in the area.
- Recommendations from vendors: Another place to look for the best quality contractors in your area for a bathroom remodel is to speak with local vendors who sell products and equipment to local contractors. They can give you an idea of who is often the most efficient, stays on top of their work, is busy and is affordable. Their day to day working relationships with these companies allows them to offer a great recommendation.
If you should see an advertisement or get a recommendation for a construction company, make sure that you still go online to check them out. Online reviews and information about their company could be valuable as you look for the right company to work with. You may also benefit from looking at what materials they use to get specific jobs done if you have any preferences in that area as well.
Things To Ask Each Contractor
The reason it’s so important to have a selection of qualified contractors is because you can get a different idea of the cost and time the project will take. While interviewing them, make sure that you are asking each the same questions as well as giving them the same information. This ensures that you are comparing each one based on the same information which makes it easier to select the best one for you. Here are some of the things you should discuss with each of the qualified candidates:
- Estimated cost: The first thing you should discuss with the contractor is their projections of the cost for the bathroom remodel. This will be based on plans you have provided them and a list of services that you require from them. While price should not be the deciding factor, it will be a big part of the decision you make.
- Estimated time: The project price is important but for something like remodeling a bathroom, you’re going to want to know about the time frame as well. Is this a job that could be completed in a couple of days or a couple of weeks? This is going to be a big inconvenience for you and it’s important to get an estimate on the time projections as well.
- Recommendations for changes: While you are pretty set on the plans you have provided, these people have years of experience remodeling homes and businesses. Their experience is valuable to you and you should ask them if there are any recommendations they would have that could save time, money or improve the quality of the build.
- Ways to save: Along with ways to save from the planning phase, you should also see if any of the top options have ways for you to save on their services as well. Some companies will offer you discounts if you will handle the cost and ordering of materials, getting permits and other responsibilities. See what options they offer and if it’s worth the savings you could make.
Once you’ve selected your contractor you will be able to get the work started. Constant communication during the bathroom remodel is key to ensure that everything stays on schedule. Feel free to go over any responsibilities you may have with the project to make sure that you are not falling behind and causing any delays. If you work together with your team, you should see a smooth process.